Wednesday, November 30, 2005

April Snow

Directed by Heo Jin-ho, starring Bae Yong-jun and Son Ye-jin
Was it because there were too much media hype to the film prior to production, or was it the intention of the director himself? When I saw April Snow the very first day it opened in Malaysia, it was not what I had expected of a korean film all together. It is very different, almost like watching a Japanese film instead - the way the director seems to pull me out of the relationship between the two leads, it is so detached to the point that I could not seem to feel for them or the situation they were in - the agony of falling in love/ having an affair. I felt very distanced from the characters. Nonetheless, there were a few scenes which I loved - the toilet scene where she had to hide in his motel room, so as not to be discovered; the last scene of snowing outside, but watching it from the interior of his car and you could only hear both of them talking. Bae Yong-Jun's performance is commendable, though there was not much of a change from his performance in the hit series, Winter Sonata. But Son Ye-jin plays her role right on the dot. Her control of emotions and subtlety is absolutely unbelievable. But I may be bias due to its media manipulation on the film itself and a pre-conception that I have already formed prior to watching it, so I will have to watch it again in the future.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...