Thursday, May 25, 2006

Lord of War

Lord of War (2005)
Starring Nicholas Cage, Ethan Hawke, Jared leto
Directed by Andrew Niccol
I was not expecting to watch a film like this one but hey, it has Nicholas Cage and Ethan Hawke (my favourite Gattaca actor), so why not? Well, it turned out to be quite an interesting film. Nicholas plays the role of a gun dealer in such a cool and calm manner, which is almost unbelievably remarkable, that it almost made me "sympathize" with him at the end of the film. Of course, this was only during the course of watching the film, but when the end credit roles, and the music comes to an end, it almost snaps me back to reality again. Need I say more about Ethan Hawke's performance? It is a stylishly designed film, but what captured me most was how such a serious universal issue on illegal gun dealings/ trafficking is being approached by the director himself - a tinge of realism, a pinch of humour and sarcasms and an acute sense of angling the film completely from the point of view of a gun dealer himself, which made it seem so legitimate that it almost scares me. Nonetheless, we are then awaken by the real brutality towards the end of the film when the most innocents are the ones who were sacrificed along this lucrative and crazy global business. What a shame but that is reality to us and it is happening right this moment as I write.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...