Thursday, January 05, 2006

A First Gong Xi Wish!

This is definitely a pleasant surprise! Who could have thought that my first Chinese New Year wish this year comes from as far as the Western world, all the way from a dear old friend of mine, June and her family from Netherlands! I was so excited that I told myself I have to put this in my blog...it is still hot, right out of my post box and scanner! "Wensend U een Gelukkig en Bloeiend Nieuw Jaar" Under normal circumstances, I would have no idea at all what this means, but on the card, it says, "Wishing You A Happy and Prosperous New Year". I felt a little embarrassed now as I could not remember when was the last time I actually bought those fiery red Chinese New Year cards and send them off to friends and family? Maybe ages ago? At this time and age of "high tech" life that we live in, we or should I just say me, (by the way, I usually send e-cards) I, tend to somehow let those memorable "traditions" drift away from the shore of my so-called "roots". I have always been "accused" of not being "Chinese" enough (by who? Names not disclosed here for obvious reasons) but I have always protested very silently, in my heart, that I am still a Chinese - black hair, black/ brown eyes, yellow skin (very superficial, huh?) - now, how could it be possible that I am not one? But now, I slowly begin to doubt this inner rebellious voice of mine, deep within me. This is horrible, when you have come to realize that you have lost grip of who you truly are, you feel so incomplete in certain ways. Nonetheless, I do believe in one thing. No matter what or who I have become, maybe less "Chinese" in the eyes of some, I would still be just me, myself and only me for I could never be anyone else. Thanks June for the well wishes and for reminding me of who I truly am, inside.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...