Thursday, February 02, 2006

Love Marathon, Almost

I had managed to squeeze in some time, amidst my busy working schedule back in Sungai Petani, to catch two romantic comedies within the span of three days before coming back home, KL. Must Love Dogs and Just Like Heaven. I started to notice Diane Lane was when I saw Under the Tuscan Sun last year, which I thought it was a great film. This time around, in Must Love Dogs, she plays a divorcee as well, which I thought was a little bit being typecasted already, but I kept an open mind to the film. It turned out the film was not that bad after all. Maybe because it has quite a good line up of actors, for instance John Cusack, Christopher Plummer, and my favourite guy from My Best Friend Wedding, Dermot Mulroney. Subtle acting and some great screenplay here and there, especially the scene where Christopher talks to Diane about her mother. Nonetheless, I was slightly disappointed by the ending. Not that it did not have a happy ending but the fact that this sort of ending somehow bugs me inside, seeing how Diane Lane finally being 'accepted' by everyone, having found her "mr. right" and "thank God" that she is not lonely and miserable again, seems to send this "false" but "hopeful" notion that women's ultimate happiness is, still, lies in the hands of men, to be fulfilled by the opposite sex. I am not a feminist nor a hypocrite, but this strange little voice just seems to creep right up in me. At times, happiness in life is so intangible that one can only rely on oneself to harness and create that sort of feelings, within ourselves, not somewhere or someone other than your SELF...maybe I am a hypocrite after all?

I did not really sink in to Just Like Heaven until almost half way through the film. Not that I didn't like Reese Witherspoon's character, but maybe it was just the pace of the film, or maybe at times, I felt it tried a little too hard to be funny. Mark Ruffalo was equally interesting to look at, though not his character, exactly. I just loved the art direction and the location of Reese's apartment, especially the sofa! My favourite shot in the film turns out to be the shot of the red Golden Gate bridge seemingly floating in the midst of flying clouds in the early morning at the very beginning of the film. So magiacal and breathtaking that it could almost swept me off my feet and wished that I were there. Not too bad for a small romantic comedy.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...