Monday, March 06, 2006

The Most Perfect Sunset

A journey not to be forgotten. One of the most rewarding experiences from all the Kedah trip so far was the most recent one. Together with my father-in-law and some of his friends, we took a ride out of SP town one bright and hot afternoon. Passing endless padi fields on both side of the road to arrive at a small village, we finally stopped right at a small jetty by the river. Apparently, we were supposed to see a yacht owned by a fella from Germany but we only managed to catch a glimpse of it from where we were standing. I was not much interested in looking at that but to walk over to the planks and right up till the end of the jetty to look at the fishing boats dotting the river bank and see how the water is. That whole feeling reminded me so much of a trip I once had while I was still studying in Penang. That fishing village is called Muka Head, but is more famously known as "The End of The World". It is situated right at the end of all those fancy hotels saturated the coastal line of the infamous Batu Feringgi Beach and this place gives you the serenity you could only dream of, and the view to the wide open sea it offers is priceless. I have always loved a long stretch of planks trailing off into the sea for I would imagine myself satisfying my crazy urge of simply running as fast as I can down the planks and just leap into the cold icy water of the sea, plunging myself into the whole eternity between the heaviness of sanity and the weightlessness of the imaginative mind. That must be fantastic!
After a while, we left the place and headed to the nearest town called Tanjung Dawai. It is also a fishing village but a more populated one. Here, we stopped and ate the heartiest seafood dinner I have ever eaten in my entire life (even better than Bukit Tambun, in some ways). After a heavy meal, I strolled to the nearest jetty (a concrete one) and was in time to catch the sunset...to my amazement, I could only watched in awe and silence as I glued my eyes right on the fiery red planet over the sky and a few fishing boats happened to draw near the horizon. That moment in time when a fishing boat crisscrossed with the descending sun over the sea was indeed a single moment that I could only wish that I had a camera with me to capture the whole beauty of it all...it is the feeling of blissfulness that one could hardly come by these days. It is the simplicity of life itself that one often fail to cherish when we tend to live life on a faster lane. I know, I am one.
That was, for me, one hell of a sunset! When the sun finally disappeared into the horizon, my moment in time has also passed me by, but at least, I thought to myself, I was there.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...