Friday, March 17, 2006

Venturing Vancouver - 1

Looking back, the most appalling yet adventurous thing that happened to us, a small family of four was getting ready to go to Vancouver in 2004. Ryan has just turned four and Aidan only two the year before. That was their very first long distance trip overseas. The flight took us from modern KLIA airport to Singapore Changi, then over to Incheon Airport at Seoul. The first minute we stepped out of the cockpit and into the walkway that led us to the airport, a cold icy air hit my face. All my senses were suddenly all wide awaken already. I could almost smell the excitement in the air. It was early February and Seoul was still very much in the midst of their winter season. It was just brief transit but both boys seemed to enjoy themselves. I was secretly praying that I could bump into the infamous Korean actor, Bae Yong-jun! (what a wishful thinking) Left we went and were back into another flight which would take us directly to Vancouver. I must say flying with Singapore Airline was the best flying experience I have ever had (not that I have flown that much at all up till then) - the comfort of good food, individual pampering of entertainment at hand all the time, with the latest movie selection, and music to listen to, great air stewardess services - I thought that was it. I would close my eyes and enjoy the rest of my flight to Canada. But, hey, I was not traveling alone, or was I? Aidan practically refused to be buckled up the whole time and started walking all over the plane. Whenever I tried to force him into his seat with me, he would cry and cry. Well, he practically cried almost throughout the whole more than 24-hour journey from Korea! I barely shut my eyes and was silently grumbling due to huge emotional distress. Ryan was a baby for he was happily enjoying watching Looney Tunes, the movie and ate whatever that was provided. Finally, a look out of the window and I was greeted by the first sunrise we saw over the Vancouver horizon and I knew my nightmare was almost coming to an end. Vancouver airport was pretty nice, but the officers were very strict. They checked everything and made sure whatever we had were in order. We hopped onto a cap and were immediately thrilled by the welcoming view of a new place. We followed the highways, passed by streets and streets of housing area, shop lots, all very neatly organized in blocks. The roads were all in grid form, very unlike KL! We were heading to West End area of Vancouver, somewhere near Robson Street. We checked into this cozy Inn which was pre-booked but realized that the room was too small for us, with huge luggage...and not much room for the kids to move around. But it was a nice and warm place to settle into. Right after that, we took to the streets and walked down further to the seaside to take in all the beauty that Vancouver was so famous for. Aidan had to be carried for he knew not how to walk yet. It was quite a walk but luckily, the pleasant weather made it bearable. A much laid back sort of feel hit you right away. People exercising, jogging, walking, just sitting on benches talking, people canoeing in the water and most of them there were just enjoying this exquisite morning. So were we. While taking in all these, it really struck me that, we have actually made it that far - Vancouver. It was truly remarkable.

To be continued...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...