Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Gold Rain & Hailstones

Directed by Zahim Albakri
Starring Lin Jaafar and Jit Murad (also the playwright)
Photobucket - Video and Image HostingI went into the play without prior information about it at KLPac last Sunday afternoon, other than what Patrick had told me that it was very well received when they first staged it back in 1993. Repricing their roles, Jit is extremely funny and right on the dot in terms of his comedic timing while Lin Jaafar was equally stunning and captivating in delivering different roles all together. I particularly loved the script and how things unfold in the play itself. It touches upon issues that most Malaysians are familiar with - how are we to deal with our identities, our culture, and most of all, Photobucket - Video and Image Hostingour root and the sense of belonging. Basically, it is all about our experience as a Malaysian. It hit a note in me, on some of the things said and felt by the characters that they were portraying on stage, as if I were the one up there, talking, but of course, if it were me, I would most probably be standing in the spotlight, talking to myself in an empty theatre for I have never been able to see myself as a performer on stage. I have always been the one behind it. The fact that Patrick and myself were able to be there enjoying the play was solely due to the fact that we owe our dearest friend, Sidney a big favour for Photobucket - Video and Image Hostinggetting us there. Sid and Crystal are also the two talented people who were responsible for the interesting projections we see during the play, the art direction to the whole experience on stage. My memory of Sidney dated way back in 1998 when he was the first friend I had made at work in my first job after graduation for he came into the office the day after me. The rest are history as they say but eventually he became Patrick's friend too. I missed those good old days where we used to talk about films over teh tarik sessions...but I guess we have come a long way and both of us are truly proud of his talents and work and will always be grateful to have such a friend like him. Thanks Sid...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...