Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Origami

Written, directed and edited by Jack Wung
Starring Harada as Kana, Mory as Antoine
Director of photography - Wutthitrai Piriyapakdeekul
Costume Design - Justin Kwok
Production Design - Mariana Thome
You can't even tell that this is a student work, the same when I watched Patrick's thesis film EXIT more than 8 years ago - such maturity in terms of their understanding of the language of film itself. As Dr. Anuar Nor Arai puts it in his film review on EXIT, "At the age of 22, Patrick Lim grabs very early the subject of alienation. Quite independently creative with his materials, Patrick Lim takes on a conceptual fling at expressing the motivated style of space and time and tries to recreate them in terms of the mind..."
Patrick brought home a copy of this short film called ORIGAMI on dvd and said that I have to watch this. The minute the film started, I was immediately impressed by the clarity and the look of the film. It is so beautifully shot that it almost seemed unreal for a student work. You could see that much care was taken into the consideration of what goes in the frame and what not - great mise-en-scene. The same goes to the creative use of the colours RED and BLUE. I love the mood the whole film evoked though it was only a mere 10 minutes. Good use of colour and the fact that dialogue were so minimal that only visuals speak for themselves make the film even more memorable. Definitely a well done piece of work! I am sure by looking at these images you would be able to guess what the story is about already, right?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Jenn,

A friend gave me a link to your site. So I read it and smiled.

Thank you very much for the wonderful comments and I'm happy that you enjoyed the film.

I'm currently in Paris and will make a stop in KL next week. Lets get in touch. My email is jackwung@gmail.com

Metta,
Jack

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...