Wednesday, January 31, 2007

A Millionaire's First Love

The notion of simplicity in love is the most complicated to establish. Love has baffled all of us since human existence. We celebrate love, we honour love, we sing about it, we even make moving images about it, some even hate it and bring it to grave. Yet, is love science or pure instinct and feelings? Can we even try to explain love in simple words? Ever since the Korean wave, I have noticed loads of love stories (be it on film or drama series) reach almost every corner of this part of the Asian region. I do find one thing quite common throughout these ever green subject matter called love in Korean movies - the naivete outlook towards love. I am not saying they are bad, I guess they found a way to some audiences' hearts by pulling the most sensitive chords in us, the weakness of being human. But then, why am I trying to decipher and dissect love and the treatment of love in film when part of me do believe that it can never be explained in simple terms? And what makes a love story great and ever lasting, in the minds of the audiences? To drown yourself in the made believe and fantasy like "almost out of this world" kind of love story approach like this film called A Millionaire's First Love (2006) or to get down to the gritty and dirty reality of the other side of "real love" like in CLOSER? I personally love the two extremes for I believe love has many facades, like what is being portrayed in 2046 by Wong Kar Wai. A Millionaire's First Love - I adore the cinematography and the approach the director, Kim Tae-gyun used to portray the simple love between this young couple. Hyun Bin has matured quite a bit in this film (though I have only seen him in the drama series called My Lovely Samsoon). Lee Yeon-hee is exceptionally stunning in her acting! She has that innocence of a girl-next-door that almost reminded me of Miho Nakayama in the Japanese film, Love Letter. She plays the role with such fragility that I could almost sense her pain and sadness. The chemistry between the two is quite convincing. The breathtaking yet not imposing long shots of the golden field of the village in the summer are some of my favourites. I love the opening of the film. It is also interesting, to me, to find that the film takes its time to gradually reveal its plots. It is one of the better Korean movies I have seen. Oh, thanks to my sis for lending me the film-:)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...